Thursday, February 7, 2013

Watch for the signs!

Okay...how many of you are on a road to discovery, but have NO idea about how to get there?  You know what I'm talking about?  That's because there haven't been enough signs along the way!! Society wants us to follow it's signs, which usually lead to pot holes, dead ends, and unpredictable detours to nowhere. 

Life in and of itself is meant to be a never ending "self-discovery"...one filled with a kind of peaceful existence that we only hear about once in a great while.  Why is that?  That's because we give way to what we think we should be doing.  Who says so?  And, can we stop ourselves long enough to take a different turn in the road?  

Here's what I think.  In a world where bigger, bigger, faster, faster, more, more is running our lives to the point of ridiculous proportions, putting the breaks on just doesn't seem to be an option.  I once read an ad for a shoe company that proclaimed "If you aren't fast, you get eaten".  The truth is we are getting "eaten" in one way or the other and it's time to pull off the road and put it in park.  

For the past month, I have been fighting some kind of virus...nothing major and not even the flu..but just pesky enough to keep me off my game.  Turns out, that this silly little "annoyance" has brought me to a place of such clarity about my "mission", I can honestly say, I am thankful for the introspective gift of time I have been forced to spend at home recuperating.  

So...I ask you...why does it take us getting sick (in some form or another) to unplug, decompress, and stop the whirling before we pay attention?  Society does NOT endorse slowing down and in fact, given the continuous ads that blare at us touting the importance of being able to watch 23 different things at the same time, it just continues to proliferate the notion that speed IS better!

Well, not for this old gal!  What's more, it is actually making me move further in the opposite direction and funny enough, my world is not crumbling to a grinding halt...On the contrary, I am able to see things more clearly than I have for a very long time.  By "taking time in", we can meet our own inner challenges of maintaining overall well being and if you have children, you can be sure they will take notice of the changes that will occur purely through creating awareness around the new "discoveries".  

I wish you a grace-filled day...Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment